Let's make a loom and use it to weave a mat from things around us. This activity guide introduces the basic concept of weaving and sheds light on how handloom clothing and textiles are made.
- Waste cardboard - 8 or 11 inch
- Thick threads available at home
- Ruler to measure
- Strips of old cloths
This activity is suitable for ages 8 years & up.
Demonstrate the activity with help from the demo video and encourage students to look around in their home or nature and share:
- What examples can you find of weaving around you? (e.g., the nest woven by birds, a fruit basket in the kitchen)
- What are the materials used in weaving?
- What are the materials used to make warp and weft? (e.g., birds use hay, leaves, twigs, and many things around them)
- What can become a frame for weaving (e.g., cloth hanger, an old photo frame)
- What can become a warp and weft for that frame? (e.g., old t-shirt strip, saree)
Browse through the facilitator guide for tips and tricks to engage participants in maker activities in a virtual or physical learning space.